The Laila Axén Scholarship was founded by the Board of Directors of Sweden House Society in 2019 to honour the long-time member, Laila Axén on her 80th birthday. Her dedication and hard work within the Swedish community has resulted in a thriving community as well as the Swedish Heritage in British Columbia archive.
The goal of this scholarship is to assist a British Columbia student with the cost of his or her post-secondary studies at an accredited institute of higher learning at a post-secondary level. The studies can take place anywhere in the world. A strong interest in Sweden and the Swedish community in BC is a requirement to apply for the scholarship and emphasis will be placed on the volunteer hours the applicant had done for the community.
The scholarship has a value of $2,000. The scholarship is paid to the institution upon proof of the recipient’s admission and the funds are distributed upon the commencement of studies.
The application should include the following:
- Applicant name, address and email address.
- Proof of residence status of BC.
- Proof of registration to an accredited institution.
- Transcript of the most recent studies and marks.
- A written reference from one or more of the following: a previous teacher, instructor or school administrator, member of Sweden House (including organizations belonging to Sweden House) or someone unrelated who can attest to the applicant’s good character.
- A short, hand-written essay that includes the applicant’s link to and interest in Sweden; a description of volunteer work and/or employment; educational experience, interests/hobbies, and travels. Also, your future academic and post-educational goals and how this scholarship can assist you in attaining them.
- Any additional personal information that would assist in the assessment of the application, including involvement with the Swedish community where the applicant lives, or in volunteering with the Sweden House Society or any of its member organizations is considered in a favourable way.
To be considered for the 2021 scholarship, the application and supporting documentation must be submitted by April 15, 2021 by email (email@example.com) or by regular mail to Sweden House Society-Scholarship, 6540 Thomas Street, Burnaby, BC V5B 4P9.