The Karl Ståhl Scholarship was founded by the board of Sweden House Society in 2014 as a way to honour the long-time service of Consul General Karl A. Ståhl. His career as the diplomatic representative of Sweden in British Columbia spanned over 45 years until his retirement in 1983. The scholarship was initiated through generous donations by the family and friends of Karl Ståhl, who passed away in 1996.
The goal of this scholarship is to assist a British Columbia student with the cost of his or her post-secondary studies at an accredited institute of higher learning at a post secondary level. The studies can take place anywhere in the world. A strong interest in Sweden and the Swedish Community in BC is a requirement to apply.
The scholarship has a value of $2,000 and will be awarded annually in the month of June. The scholarship is paid upon proof of the recipient’s admission with the funds being distributed upon the commencement of studies.
The application should include the following:
- Applicant’s name, address and email address.
- Proof of resident status of BC.
- Proof of registration to an accredited institution.
- Transcript of the most recent studies and marks.
- A written reference from one or more of the following: a previous teacher, instructor or school administrator, member of Sweden House (including organizations belonging to Sweden House) or someone unrelated who can attest to the applicant’s good character
- A short, handwritten essay that includes the applicant’s link to and interest in Sweden, a description of volunteer work and /or employment, educational experiences, interests, travels, hobbies and to also future academic and post educational goals and how this scholarship can assist in attaining them.
- Any additional personal information that would serve to better assess the application. Especially involvement with the Swedish Community where the applicant lives or volunteering/connection with Sweden House Society or any of its member organizations is considered in a favourable way.
In order to be considered for the 2021 scholarship, the application and supporting documentation must be submitted by April 15, 2021 by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by regular mail to Sweden House Society-Scholarship, 6540 Thomas Street, Burnaby, BC V5B 4P9.