The SHS Trade Scholarship was founded by the board of Sweden House Society in 2015 as a way to honour the early Swedes who came to British Columbia, and helped building our province with their hands and hearts.
The goal of this scholarship is to assist a British Columbia apprentice with the cost of their apprenticeship in of the following industries: construction, transportation, mechanical or electrical. The studies should result in a BC accreditation within the particular trade.
The scholarship has a value of $2,500 and will be paid upon proof of the recipient’s admission, with the funds being distributed upon the commencement of studies. It will be officially handed out in June 2019.
The 2019 application should include the following:
- Applicant’s name, address and email address.
- Proof of resident status of BC.
- Proof of registration to an accredited institution.
- Transcript of the most recent studies and marks.
- A written reference from one or more of the following: a previous teacher, instructor or school administrator, member of Sweden House (including organizations belonging to Sweden House) or someone unrelated who can attest to the applicant’s good character
- A short, handwritten essay that includes the applicant’s link to or view on Sweden, a description of volunteer work and /or employment, educational experiences, interests, travels, hobbies and to also future academic and post educational goals and how this scholarship can assist in attaining them. Particular weight will be addressed to volunteer work for one of the Swedish organisations which are members of the SHS.
- Any additional personal information that would serve to better assess the application. Especially involvement with the Swedish Community where the applicant lives or volunteering/connection with Sweden House Society or any of its member organisations is considered in a favourable way.
In order to be considered for the 2019 scholarship, the application and supporting documentation must be submitted by March 31, 2019 by email (email@example.com).