Read the Selection Criteria below, then download
Finland House Society (FHS) has launched its scholarship program for full time students of Finnish descent. Since its inception in 2010, the number of scholarships awarded annually has grown steadily thanks to the fundraising efforts of so many in the community. In 2016, FHS announced the addition of a new Scholarship for Music Studies in Memory of Robert Dennis Orava, which will hopefully support a student dreaming of a career in the music industry. This is the only subject specific scholarship. All others are for any field of study.
The scholarship committee is now accepting applications. To qualify the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The student must be of Finnish descent.
- The student must be a resident of British Columbia who has been accepted for admission in an accredited post-secondary educational institution providing a degree, a diploma, or a certification for its program of studies, in BC or elsewhere.
- The student must provide proof of registration and transcript of latest marks and studies.
- The student must be of good character and must provide 2 recent written references from a high school, college, or university administrator and another one including an employer, if applicable.
- The student may apply and be awarded a FHS scholarship every 2 years (not consecutively) up to a maximum of three.
Checklist for completion of the application:
- Completed application form FHS-Scholarship-Application-form
- Cover letter: reasons for requesting the scholarship and describing the applicant’s personal interests, hobbies, volunteer work, career goals and aspirations
- Proof of registration at the educational institution
- The transcripts of the latest marks and studies
The completed application must be received by mail no later than 4 p.m. June 30th. The applications must be sent to:
Mrs. Lorene Mara,
Chair, FHS-Scholarship Committee,
2021 Palliser Avenue
Coquitlam, B.C. V3K 1W8 (telephone: 604-939-5235, email: email@example.com)